View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Match rod with reel

If you got the #3 model that is intended to hold a 9 or 10 weight line, I think you've got a great set-up. If you ordered a different one, then I would just get ready to swap it out for the larger size. You need the 9-10 weight size to hold the bulky 10wt line, and the weight of it to balance that stout 10wt rod you ordered.

Matching a line up with it gets a little trickier. A weight forward floating line is the most useful type of fly line out there, but may not be of much use for your salmon fishing. I would expect a "teeny" type line, also known as an "integrated shooting head" line to be more effective. Which one you need depends on the conditions and rivers you tend to fish. Welcome to the wonderfully complex and challenging world of salmon fishing. If you already know how to find them and land them you're starting out ahead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.