View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 PM

oktx is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of hat do you wear?

Weird title I know. But a serious subject none the less. I'm new here so I get a pass on my first posting.

My Father-in-law had surgery on friday for skin cancer that had developed on his face. They took a good portion of facial tissue and some bone as a precaution. Looks like he's going to be OK, thank God. He has always been an avid outdoors type - rancher and gentleman farmer. His primary headwear had been his signature ball cap. Either a farm supply gimme or a Texas Rangers cap during the playing season. This ordeal sure got me to thinking about my own sun protection. Traditionally I have worn a ball cap, slapped on some sunscreen and pretty much left it at that. If it got really hot, I'd stuff a bandana under the hatband to protect my ears and neck. I've always been a bit of a cheap skate about my own headgear. The idea of spending real money on a hat just didn't register with me. I always figured the money was put to better use on a new line or some flys. No more. Its broad brim from here on out. Price be damned. Especially at altitude.

What do you wear? And is it giving you enough protection? Think about it. Skin cancer is serious stuff. This was definitely a wake up call for me.