View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Oh Yeah, The Dam, I forgot that one

Ken,

I had one of those experiences on the Ragged River in North Central Maine. My buddy and I were on shore when we heard this weird noise in the distance (turned out to be 8 miles distant) and after having lunch we waded back into the river (opposite side from the one we were parked on about a mile upstream) and resumed fishing. Just after I had raised a really nice salmon I began to notice lots of leaves floating in the water with sticks and other debris.

So, I call upstream to Steve and say "Hey Doc, is there a bunch of junk coming down the river at you up there"? He replies in the affirmative and adds, "I think the water is getting higher too". This was just the beginning, we made a panicked dash for shore, the wrong shore. When we finally managed to cross at a spot we had passed on the way down the river that was originally only a foot deep it was at the top of our waders and a rushing torrent. Getting across without being hit by a floating log was a miracle.

That weird noise that we decided was probably a jet breaking the sound barrier was the roar of the water being released from the Bowater Paper Companies Ragged River Dam. Heck, I didn't even know there was a dam on that little river until that day. Live and learn.

Funny, I forgot about that one till I read your post. I still think the speeding ticket and burnt line is at the top of my list.