View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Worst Day / Calamities While Fishing

While living in Fairbanks, AK: The wife loads up the motorhome for a trip after work to the Kenai for some salmon fishing, it is a 10 hour drive. We stop at one of the streams crossing the Parks Hwy, I think it was Montana Creek, but not sure. After getting settled in the campground and finished with dinner I get out my 8 wt fly rod ready to do battle with some kings. Around 2:30 am my wife comes out looking for me, I'm hooked into a nice king but he made a run downstream and now is now stuck on the other side of the bridge. So I ask her to hold my fly rod while I go check things out. After crossing over the bridge and crawling across all the granite boulders lining the bank I finally see my fly line entering the water, right at a small willow sticking out of the water. I get maybe 4 ft from where the line enters the water and grab the line. At that point a big explosion occurs in the water as the king trys to free himself and my fly line goes limp. I call back to my wife and she doesn't answer, now I'm becoming worried. I rush back across the bridge and down the granite boulders on the other side to find her holding her head. Turns out at the moment the fish broke off my wife (who was sitting on a big boulder) rolls backwards and hits her head on the big rock. We are like 3 hours from Fairbaniks and about the same from Anchorage, no real towns in between. Turns out she had a really bad headache, two black eyes and a bruised ego but other than that she was ok. Very close call, as it could have been much worse!

Larry