View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adding loop to fly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I had an SA GPX loop pop off a month ago, and decided to make another.
Joni and Frank Whiton have posted pics of loops they've made, and both
say they work well. I cut the end of the line at a 45 degree angle, and glued
it to the line, doubling the line over roughly the same amount as from the
factory. I used CA glue to get a quick bond, and seal the end. I then used
red 6/0 tying thread to bind the doubled over line together, and size the loop.
Joni reports success with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails to seal the thread, so I bought bottle for
$2. The resulting loop is almost as supple as a factory looped end, and it floats
great. I've used that line a lot since making the loop, and everything is
great so far.
I use the doubled over line as a loop on all of my higher weight lines. I tie mine with kevlar thread and use two or three whipped finish knots. Others would suggest 2 nail knots.
I would not use the Sally's nail polish as a coating however. It's not flexable and will eventually crack
I like Goop because it's very easy to work with, but I've also used brightly colored fabric paint as a sealant.
A good choice if you want to include a built in strike indicator.