View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I am 40 and have owned 4 vehicles since I got my driver's license at 16. The best fly fishing vehicle that I have owned is my current 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon. Its all wheel drive allows me to safely drive on some dirt roads. It also has enough ground clearance for those dirt roads. There is plenty of space with the seats folded down to fit two 10 foot pontoon boats (broken down of course) plus gear. With the addition of specially made foam pads that fit on my stock roof rack, I can carry my kayak or my friend's canoe. It is smooth driving on the highways.

One of these days, I will invest in a truck or a SUV, so I can fish other places. Luckily, my girlfriend has a 4wd GMC Jimmy for that. But for now, I'm happy with my wagon.

MP
I drive a Forester. Sounds like that should be your next one. The fact that they're cheaper and get better mileage than Outbacks is nice too. Good clearance, AWD, short overhangs, avgs 27mpg, super nimble, and very smooth for such a short wheelbase. Roof rack will hold a kayak and bike for self shuttles too.

A buddy of mine pulls his Maverick HPX with his Outback and it does just fine. (helps that the boat weighs like 800#)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.