View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Discerning a strike from the bottom

Trout,

I have read all the response to your question and see that you have been given a tremendous amount of good advise.

I thought about answering your thread last night but it was late and I opted to wait until today. I don't use indicators, (old school) but I do use floating lines and wet flies so perhaps I can have some positive input for you.

Slack in your line has been addressed and quite thoroughly; the distance between your floating indicator and the weighted fly hence the depth of the drift has been covered also. These are the two prime problems with the indicator fishing of nymphs. For you to pay attention to every variance in the drift and treat each occurrence as if it were a fish is very good advise.

What I would add is this; if you fish this area often or you plan to fish there often, then a little recon is in order. The next trip when you are ready to leave, wade the creek. Take a walk wherever the depth is allowable. Get to know the bottom, how deep is it really, where are the logs, limbs, boulders, etc. Take a good look at the bottom strata and this will be of great value on future trips to this same water. I know of no better way to gage the depth of water than to walk out into it.
This would be a good way to answer the question you put forth in your other thread; How to get people to stay a comfortable distance from you, if people crowd you it may be a good time to check out the stream channel. They may find that fishing too close to you is not a good thing.

I hope this is of some help, I like to know the bottoms of my favorite places if possible. If the water is so deep that I can't find the bottom I find that a set of spinning gear may be better suited to the task.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;