View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly tying beginner

I agree totally on taking a class. Not just to find out if you like it, but the classes I have taken (thus, the way I teach) you learn WHY you do certain things, What the fly represents, thus opening the door to same pattern, different color and material and you now have several flies.
Plus you get to try different Vises, I am partial to Renzetti and Regal (there is sticker shock on some of these vises, so get ready)
I prefer a rotary vise, whether I use it or not, it is there.
There are a lot of starter kits out there that are great, I know the one at Orvis was. You get material for tying basic flies like wooly's, hareears, etc. and TOOLS (which can add up in a hurry), book plus thread and hooks. A good basic starter might be around $150 + (Look at e-bay) and some fly fishing stores will let you up grade the vise when you purchase the kit and minus the price of the vise in the kit.
You will love it on those cold or wet days that you just can't get out.
It is my ZEN in the evening, to relax and tie a few flies before I retire to bed.

One final word, on the bobbers, look for ceramic internals, you will break less thread.