Thread: Spey cast....
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey cast....

Fyshstrykr,
First of all, I consider myself an intermediate caster at best. I still "poo poo" many casts from time to time. We're all entitled to bad days.

For reference, I am right handed.

For this discussion, I am going to assume that you are a right handed caster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Being a beginning Spey caster when we went for Steelhead last month, my friend and instructor for the weekend got me going with the 'Double Spey cast'. After learning the basics of the cast it was easy for several cast and then went to poo the next. Let's not even mention trying to adjust when going to the other side of the river. lol. Fatigue was a contributing factor as I'm sure my mechanics were not even close to where they should have been.
The first days are always the hardest. Like anything else, repetition will help. You need to gain the muscle memory.

Quote:
What was the first cast you learned? And what cast did you move onto next?
The first cast that I learned was the Single Spey. It is the foundation for everything else. My next cast was a Double Spey Cast.

Quote:
My friend wants to teach me the 'Snake Roll' next, but I want to hold off until I can be consistent with the DSC.
I would hold off on the Snake Roll. You probably won't use it much although it is a pretty cool cast to watch. Instead, you should learn the Snap T. This will set you up for fishing river left situations. You should have a basic river right and a basic river left cast down before venturing off onto other casts.

Instead of learning the Snake Roll for a secondary river right cast, I learned how to cast a Snap T left handed. It's easier than most people make it out to be. What makes it easy is that my right hand is now my power hand. Guess what? I'm right handed!

A left handed Snap T comes in handy when an upstream breeze blows because the setup of the cast is now upstream. When doing a Double Spey or Snake Roll, the setup is downstream. There might be a chance of hooking yourself if that breeze blows your cast into you. I have had an upstream breeze set my anchor point within a rod length of my shoulder. I flinched when I heard my line, leader, and fly buzz right by my ear.

In my opinion, you should really have three casts down before you venture off into a bunch of other casts.

1. Single Spey - It's the foundation for all casts.
2. Double Spey - This will be your basic river right cast.
3. Snap T - This will be your basic river left cast.

MP