View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaders and tippet material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog7 View Post
I have just started fly fishing and I have some quesitons regarding leaders and tippets. I already know which size leader and tippet I need for the fish I am after, my question deals with how long leaders last.

I only have one leader at the moment so I would like to get some tippet material... would it be wise to pick up some other leaders, or should I be ok untill that leader takes a poop on me?
Yes it would be wise to have extras. You can have a leader that gets so beat up, that it's faster to change it rather than to keep repairing it. Nowadays, you can buy three packs.

If you are going to buy some tippet spools, buy the size that matches the tippet end of the leader, one size thicker, and one size smaller. That way you can choose to repair a broken section or extend your leader.

Quote:
I am also a little mixed up as to where the leader ends, and where the tippet begins...
The skinny end is the tippet end. Tippet material is tied there.

Quote:
also, which brand should I buy? I am on a college budget so the cheaper the better
The prices for the major brands (Umpqua, Scientific Anglers, and Rio) are about the same for monofilament leaders and tippets. I use Umpqua, but I am confident with the other brands. The going rate for a single leader is $4.00. The going rate for a three pack of leaders is $10.00. The going rate for a spool of tippet material is $4.00.

MP