View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shooting heads??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
hey ya'all,
Heres the problem, hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark, some times I can get close to the fish, but not usally very close before they spook. I was thinking about setting a 9ft 8 or 9wt rod up with a shooting head/running line system. Does anyone have any exprience with these? Do they help you make a longer cast?
Should I use a striping basket with them?
Thanks for any info
Bear
Shooting head systems are used regularly here in Northern California for Striped Bass. They help improve distance. If the conditions are right, I can cast 100 feet with my eight weight. They are also versatile since you can change heads for different sink rates.

Using shooting heads can be difficult for someone who never has used them. Some people get turned off by them because of the loop to loop interface between the head and the running line. It can get caught between the guides. Also people try to cast them like regular lines by false casting. The goal is to get the head out of the tip top then shoot.

If you choose to buy shooting heads, buy them by grain weight. The packaging for most shooting heads that are labeled with the AFFTA line weight and the grain weight. Eight weight rods usually work best with heads that weigh 300 to 350 grains. Most nine weights cast best with heads of 350 to 400 grains. You are basically overlining your rod with these heads to get more distance.

Another option is to purchase integrated shooting heads. These are one piece lines in which the head and the running line are welded together. The positive is that you don't get the bulky loop to loop connection between the running line and the head. The negative is that you lose your versatility of changing heads.

It is not a bad idea to have a stripping basket or bucket. The most popular basket being used where I'm from is the Mangrove Hip Shooter. It is marketed by Mangrove Fishing Accessories (Temple Fork Outfitters) and can be bought at any specialty shop. Stripping buckets are popular with some fishermen who do not like wearing stripping baskets. They are basically waste baskets that are weighed down, so they don't slide around on the deck.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-17-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling