Thread: Bite Problem
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bite Problem

Oh boy, talk about a good one. This is a great one. (in a good way)
Countless hours have been spent around camp fires and fly shops and tackle stores on why fish dont bite. There are many reasons and any giveing time.
The weather, the water, the people, and ofcourse the fish them selves.
First lets look at weather. Most folks that have fished awhile know this, but for the newbies, fronts and high pressure are one of the most important factors on fishing. Usally right before a front moves in and for awhile after fishing can be great, the fishes lateril line tells them things you and I need a weatherman to tell us. Once the front has pushed through and the skies clear fish hang tight to cover and dont feed much.
One of the reason on my home lake and river right now is the low oxygen. The river is a tail water and the lake has not went through its fall turn over yet so the deep water has very low O2 and there for the water coeming into the river is very low O2, when a fish cant breath good, its not going to have the strength to move around alot and feed. Ever notice when you have a head cold and cant get air into your system how you feel run down and tired?
People,,,,,,, on a river, you go to a hole oneday and knock the heck out of 'em you go the next and the fish are there but dont bite, you notice an angler 50 yards up the river, blundering into the new hole and makeing the water look like froth with bad cast and beating the water with their fly line, chances are that angler was just in your hole and did the same thing, when that happens ya might as well light a smoke, pour a cup of coffee and kick back for half and hour or so.
Another reason is hunger, fish are alot like you and I, if they have been on a heavy feed for a couple days, they arent going to be that hungry.
Every day most folks eat 2-3 meals a day, thanksgieving come and we gourge ourselves, the next day most people dont eat as much as normal.
Yet another reason, look at the sky, if a good hole isnt producing like it has, look at the sky, are there alot of big birds flying around? Hawks, Egrets, herons, or eagles and others will make fish run for cover and be very shy about moveing about and feeding.
There are some thngs we can do when it gets like this. One is to be patient and wait them out. The other is going from a natueral fly to a reaction fly.
It always seems funny to me that I can go to the river at times and fish a scud or midge(tail waters to most food sources for trout) and never get a bump, but ty on a neon pink saun juan and catch a few fish. That neon pink fly looks nothing like anythng that is in the river, so why do fish eat it? Its called a reaction strike its not an eating thing at all, its more like, what the hell is that thing? I'm going to bite it to kill it or find out.
OK I've ran my fingers long enough lol
Best to all
Bear