View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats a good distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky View Post
my uncle has given me one of his old fly rods and give me a quick lesson so i can practice my casting but i dont know what a good distance is for a cast i'm averageing around 35-40 yards and after reading the forums tonight i have picked up a few things i'm going to try but if anyone has any tips or can tell me a what a good distance is it would be great
by the way i am planning on fishing the rivers, streams and lakes in utah so any tips on gear and what flies to use and tie would also be great

many thanks vincent
If you are casting 35-40 yards, you can outcast just about anyone on this board. I take it that you meant 35-40 feet. If you can cast 35-40 feet accurately, you are in good shape.

The reality of most stream fishing is that a 20 to 30 foot cast is a long cast. Some streams can be the length of your rod. Some streams can be the length of your stride. A lot of times fish are close to the shore than way out there.

The only times that you really need to be able to cast far are in stillwater situations (lakes - assuming that you are in a watercraft like a float tube), in waters that you will swing flies (Steelheading), and fishing off of boats (Striped Bass, saltwater species). In some situations a short cast will be considered 50 feet. In some situations 80 feet might not be enough.

MP