View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rating rods by rolling dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
Mojo, you'd be amazed how many highly-respected name brand rods that are very popular measure 2-4 line weights off of what they're stamped by the mfg when measured using the CCS. It's just gotten progressively worse over the past 10-15 years, not better.
I wouldn't doubt it, but I've always believed that a rod, glass or plastic, can go down a weight or up from the factory size. I think a lot has to do with the rod itself. An average caster will have problems with a TCR or GLX and overlining it will slow it down to their speed.
That's why I wanted to know what rod and model/series the original rod is.
Line manufacturers like Rio are putting out certain lines a half weight heavier to load the fast rods.
But all in all, I think it's time for an overhaul and standardization of line weights- rods and lines. AFFTA's line designation is old, old, old. I really wonder if it's the rods themselves that are the culprits, or the lines. I have one rod that is a dog with anything on it but Wulff 5wTT. Most of my rods cast and fish very well with the designated rated line if the line is Sharkskin. Go figure.