Thread: 3 weights...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 weights...

I'm with Hardy. For a true small stream rod along the lines of what you're after, you want a full-flex, slower action rod. And tubular graphite rods under-perform (generally speaking) in this category compared to fiberglass, bamboo, and Hexagraph rods. But there are some very respectable graphite rods in this category. You just didn't list any. I'm not a fan of glass, myself. And my order of preference runs as follows: Hex, bamboo, graphite, glass. So if I had to go for a graphite 3wt small stream rod, it would most definitely be the Elkhorn Nomad 8' for about $100. It's not a true full-flex, but it is a very deep progressive taper that gives it a medium action on the slowish side and is very soft and quite accurate for tubular graphite. It is also extremely durable for a hollow graphite rod and comes with a lifetime unconditional warranty and tube. Before I got my Hexagraphs, I fished Elkhorn Nomads and Travelers as my light duty rods exclusively for years. The Traveler is a "prettier" rod with a more conventional progressive taper (mid-flex).
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist