View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching a child to fly fish - questions

I started when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I didn't know nothing about fly fishing, but wanted to learn. I did a little with my grandpa while visiting him in Minnesota, but I lived out in CA at the time. Well not having a driving license and being where I was living, the local ponds was the only place I could fish. Luckily there was one small pond not to far from where I lived.

During one of my trips to MN, he sent me home with a fiberglass fly rod and I still have it. The sticker is worn off, but I'm thinking it was a 5wt, 9foot, somewhere around there.I had a blast fly fishing for panfish and bass. Granted it was short range casting from a shorline with no trees or brush to get tangled up. I do remember one of the first times I had my fly rod out...I was tagging small bluegills and bass left and right. Across the pond, a guy had his young son bobber fishing across from me. He yells, "You going to save some fish for us!", jokingly of course. What a compliment at that young of age, just starting to fly fish and didn't know what the heck I was doing. Then the rest was history...I'm still doing it and loving it!

Moral of the story, don't worry about the "correct" technique and "getting it just right", just let him be at that young age and stick with panfish, trout pond, etc, just someplace to catch anything. Let him pick his own flies or tie his own, they might not look pretty, but it gets them involved in the sport if they feel like their part of it.

My half cent
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."