Thread: advice
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky View Post
hi i have a few questions and need some help in answering them and would be great if some of you could help me out
i have a 6/7 greys rod with a scierra ic3 7/8 fly reel till i can save up some pennies to get a better one and will be fishing mainly for trout but hopefully the bigger trout lol mainly in rivers and streams
so first question
1: what breaking strain backing should i get i'm looking at 30lb as i want to be safe but is this overkill lol

2: what breaking strain tippert flurocarbon should i get to begin with this i have no idea about or should i get a varitey if so what ones do you advise

3: i have seen some blue fly lines but they all seem to be intermediate and really want a floating line (i know i'm wiered but want a unusall colour fly line as most fly fishers i have seen alll seem to have yellow or mint green lines which i find kinda dull and boring no offence toall those who use them ) so if anyone knows wherei can get blue or another bright uncommon colour would be great

vince

Hi Vince,

1) As far as backing strength and going with 30#, I think it may be a bit of overkill for the fish your going to be chasing in this area, but I don't believe there to be anything wrong with going heavier. You will have a little less backing on the reel, buy honestly probably not enough to really matter.

2) Fluorocarbon tippet material is expensive as Ard mentioned. I really only use it when fishing streamers, and occasionally nymphing. from a personal standpoint I'm really not sure fluorocarbon is really needed.

There have been some studies that say fluorocarbon doesn't break down as easily as mono, so if you hang upon the bottom and break off, the fluorocarbon could possibly remain there longer.

If I were you I would purchase a variety of good quality mono tippet material in sizes 2x-6x, and also a spool in the 15# range for fishing streamers. I like RIO' products myself.

3) Flyline colors......I absolutely agree with the Ardster in trying to be as stealthy as possible, but many don't think it's neccesary and put more credence in proper approach and casting. It's a matter of personal preference and over time you will form your own opinions.

S&A has a few lines that have a dull colored tip to them, maybe a good consideration for ya.

I like to have the mindset on heavily pressured water that when I'm fishing, I'm actually hunting, so for me I like to minimize anything that may cause the fish to be aware of me. But then again sometimes it may not matter as much and I'm not as cautious.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*