View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Ard,
Like I have said before, except for the rare time I hook into a 20 inch + trout on the river, I rarely "have to" put a fish on the reel. If I have a fish that runs, I do put them on the reel, but I don't believe that I have lost a fish due to the quality of my reel drag yet. So for me, the reel basically holds the line, and occasionally sees duty as a drag assist mechanism. I am probably not explaining this right. In any case the Redingtons and the RLS2 are my two most expensive reels, but I bought them as they were being discontinued so I didn't pay that much for them. I believe that while a good drag can help, and I am sure it does on the larger fish, I fish for trout primarily, and there have been a lot of trout caught on older reels that did not have the benefit of today's technology.

Doesn't mean I don't love my reels or my rods, I do, I have more rods and reels then I can use on any single outing, even if I take a couple spares.

It sure is fun to be getting ready to go fish and be able to say, hmmm, I think I will take the old omni and my Griggs 5 weight today, or maybe the redington 3 wt and redington reel.

The other thing I think is kewl, is having the spare spools with larger line. the spare for the 3/4 has 4 wt on it, and the spare for the 5/6 has 6 wt on it. When I get a new 5 wt rod, I can underline or overline it and see what it likes to use. If I am fishing dries on the 3wt, I can use the 3wt DT, if I am fishing nymphs, the 4wt, etc. The hard part is remembering what type of line I have on the spool. I am planning on putting a 5wt sinking line on the Okuma for still water fishing - any recommendations?

d