View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Whats' the Best productive stream you've ever fished

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
My best trout days are on Shell creek in the big horns, Wyoming. Its on the way from Greybull to Sheridan, not easy to get to and envolves climbing. I never go down into the canyon for just a day but always spend the night to make the trek worth it. ]
I wasnt going to post in this thread, however I am drunk and and i was surprised to see someone mention shell creek.

I have over 20 days on shell creek and have caught rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, brook trout, brown trout, whitefish, sauger, carp, and walleye.

In addition my only 100 fish day was on shell creek. If you go between shell reservoir and shell lake you can catch fish every cast, although a big fish in this stretch is 8" and produces 4"-5" fish on average. I am not hotspotting. This place needs more fisherman. Anywhere above the falls you can expect to catch lots of small fish. If the fish saw more pressure perhaps there would not be as many small fish, instead there would be more larger fish.

The lower stretch has less, bigger fish, although it is all private land.

Futurmille, are you from greybull? I have lived there for a bit, and my dad is currently working at one of the bentonite mines.

:edit: stay at trapper lodge if you can afford it, i have never fished the kedesh section of shell creek, however my sisters wedding was held on Flitner's property at trappers lodge, the one time i was able to fish trapper creek. I have never caught so many 15+" fish out of a stream that was 10fps on a good day. It is expensive though.