View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: tfo signature rods

I think full disclosure is great info for shoppers. A rod is a big investment, (whether a beginner spending $150. or a seasoned angler throwing down $700. +)
Personally/professionally, I've fished Sage for thirty plus years. Made the transition to fast rods long ago, and use all the speed I can get. They throw a nice loop, but weight is the real issue. For me, lighter is better. (Means I feel like fishing longer.) I think the Launch fishes, but the VT2 is a little sweeter because of this. Some Reddingtons are a value too.
I try to cast my clients rods, and so "field tested" a few TFO's.
Lefty's version casts fine but what I loved was the flat finish. Many times I've seen rods "flash" in the right light. I'm pretty sure we scare fish, not just rod movement, but with gloss finish as well. Wish all manufactures would follow suit on at least one model. Granted, it isn't as pretty, but may catch more fish.
I thought the Ross rod cast well but was challenged a bit when heavier weight/water nymphing. (Which we do a bunch of locally.)
I encounter lots of people "trying" to nymph with soft-med action dry fly rods. It makes a challenging task, even more so. A stiffer faster rod might require you to dial back power to present a dry gently, but can sling a bobber, several AB shot, and 2-3 weighted flies. Consider what you will do the most.
I still fish my first Sage. What is $330. averaged over thirty years?
I think a rod is a pretty good investment in fun, "if" you end up liking it.
If you are serious about shopping for a rod, a guide service usually provides rods, quiz them on make(ers) and models they use.
A couple of hours on water can tell much. In my opinion, grass casting isn't even close to reality, especially, for those transitioning to a switch.
I hate buying a pig in a poke. So can't imagine buying a rod without using it on water first. Hope some of this helps.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.