View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: whats a good distance

Wilky, A trick I picked up at a guide school, is to find a steel mixing bowl (Thrift store, not a good one). I have a large one and a tougher size too.
Use a 6ft leader with a split shot on the end (maybe tie a knot on the leaders end). Lay the split shot in the bowl, back off until the leader and six ft. of fly line is on the ground, Point the rod tip directly at the bowl. Trap the line against the corks. Lift the BB out of the bowl and lay it in again. When you can do 10/10, add a little more line, and start again. "Blueprinting" your cast over a short distance accurately, will catch you far more fish than a 100 ft cast. I can count on one hand fish I've caught at that distance. Also, just like hammers, not every rod performs the same, work with the rod and it will tell you what it does well.
Over most fishers lives, the majority of fish caught will be at 40 ft.or less. Many fish are at your feet. The grass isn't always greener over there. Can't tell you how many fish I've spooked before I even entered in the water. Several golfing clients enjoy casting at the "pin" on a course. I also use hula hoops for distance practice. You can also hang them from a limb, and shoot line through it.
Remember, the more line that is out, the more important (and difficult) line management, or mending is.
Start easy, work up to hard. Learning good tech. from the start, is better than unlearning bad habits later.
Bass fishing is credited by some very good casters as the one thing that made them better. (Under bushes, or in a small patch of water amongst lilly pads). Good luck!

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-16-2009 at 08:20 PM.