View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Newbie questions

Hi Scooter,

Because you included Largemouth the 5wt is not the best choice. A 6wt would be the lightest weight rod you should consider. If I was fishing a lot of largemouth I would consider a 7wt or 8wt. Largemouth need large flies and poppers. You can use regular monofillament for a leader if you keep it around 4 feet. A 7' tapered leader would be a better choice. Your best line choice would be a floating, weight-forward line from Scientific Anglers or RIO. They both have a bass taper line. Another choice for bass fishing is a double-taper line if you do a lot of roll casting.

The Hobbs Creek outfit gives you a lot for the money. It would be a good starter setup. The reviews were complimentary but I suspect it is by people with little experience. A large arbor reel is very desirable but you will probably want to upgrade after you get some experience. I have not seen or cast with that outfit so don't know how good it might be.

Frank