View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: flies for winter reds

If we're talking about shallow water fish, I normally throw basically the same flies, though I stick with the calmer looking ones. By that I mean I recommend the smaller 2/3's of your flies in the blander 2/3's of colors.

In the colder temperatures, the fish are moving slower and thus will have a bit longer to look at your fly, and may be a bit pickier. The 5" long chartreuse and bright purple rubber legged chingaderra is more likely to scare them than turn their chompin' on.

There's also the possibility that all the fish will be in deep cuts where you'll have to blind cast to them. Make sure to take some heavier flies that you can fish 5'+ deep and slow. While hazardous to cast, these in dark brown can be extremely productive- Deep Wiggler, Pearl, by Ken Hanley, Originated by Larry Dahlberg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.