Thread: Blue spey
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blue spey

Thanks guys. The spey hackle is rooster tail I work the barbs out of with my fingers. I saw a guy do it on you tube. You strip one side, then wet your fingers and work the remaining side out straight from the stem crushing the the little hooks on the fibers. Rooster tail has pretty long fibers. The one I used here is 1 3/4" long. Thay are long enough to get a couple flies out of them at least. I dyed the wings (silver Badger hackle) and the spey hackle with Raspberry Reaction Kool-Aid. It works really well, and is permanent. Kind of makes you wonder about drinking Kool-Aid. The body is purple SLF and a blue oval tinsel which is hard to see in the photo. I found a great way to get the wings to set the way you want them from a guy on the Spey rod forum. It involves wetting the wings after you tye them then put a wet paper towel over the wings in the shape you want them to stay, and allow it to slow dry. When it's dry they stay that way. They even go back when they dry after fishing it. Must have something to do with the slow drying because of the wet towel. And then blue at the butt is ostrich herl.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-22-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Eliminate redundant word.