View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redfish in Louisiana Marshes?

You're exactly right about the hooks working fine until they hit the salt water and for multiple hours after. Also right about them rusting out of a fish quicker if you break one off. I think bronze hooks dissolve in a saltwater fish in about 2-4 days, compared to 2 weeks for a stainless hook. One thing though, if you put a saltwater-wet fly back into a box with bronze hooked flies in there, close it up, and leave it overnight, you'll have a bunch of rust even on the flies that didn't get wet. A good freshwater rinse and leaving it sitting out opened up overnight will prevent that.---------------------------------------------------------- I usually throw size 4 flies for redfish. ------------------------ Those 1/0 SS hooks will work fine for freshwater bass or pike flies, btw.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.