Thread: learning rod
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I don't teach woman or men how to fly cast but I don't think a $300 glass rod is the best way to start your girl friend. She may not like to fish and you now have a short Glass rod that you probably don't have a use for. You should get her a rod that fits the fishing you do in your area. If you fish small streams then the short glass rod would be a good choice. If you fish larger water then it may not be a good choice. My suggestion would be a Temple Fork Signature rod for $99. A 8' 4wt would be a good choice. I think you should get her the same weight rod you fish. That way she can use your line and reel to learn. If she falls in love with fly fishing then you can get her a reel. If she thinks it is silly or too hard then you have another rod that you can use. The Signature rod is a medium fast rod and will be easy to cast. Women are excellent casters and I would get her a more all around rod than something just because it is easy to cast. Frank

Frank, I can't say anything bad about TFO's they are great rods.
But, first off, the Diamond glass I mentioned is also an 8', but a five weight, which everyone that fishes glass, knows you can over line or underline to achieve what you want. Glass is the only rod I recommend that on.
Plus, if she doesn't like fishing, then he ends up with a FANTASTIC rod, or he will be able to sell it a lot easier than the TFO, in my opinion.
I have found that with FAST rods (which I know you didn't mention) people pick up bad habits. Faster rods are more forgiving of mistakes. But if you want to learn the basics and learn WHY you wait, and that you can actually feel the LOAD UP.
This might not be the answer, I just say this is what I use and "If it ain't broke....... LOL"