Thread: The Fly Cast
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 01:40 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default TAILING LOOPS

Doug,
I would like to add a few comments further to that you wrote. Yes, l more or less aggree with what you have to say, and you and l both know that you need the student at hand to be able to correct that problem.
When l started fly fishing, bamboo and to some extent fiber glass were the materials used. Bamboo rods do require a much slower casting stroke, load the road and let it do the work for you, unlike of course the modern day fast action grahite rod. tailing loops were in my view less common in those days.

I had a student at one time that was able to form knots in the fly line way back from the leader connection, he had the most unreal way in which he rotated his arm, we got him on the right track eventually, AFTER SOME SURGERY, just kidding.

For sure watch the track of your fly line, that is what causes the problem, via what you transmit by energy and rod handling control.
I have also found in some circumstances that changing the rod, by definition of the action has helped many students. ie a fast action to a more moderate flex.

I would also add that if there is not a good configuration of flyline to leader to fly relationship this also can create problems. Typically a heavy weight fly attached to a light leader scenario, being one of those. or a light weight fly line and a heavy weight fly. You need a balance through out the configuration of those.
Wind of course is another issue.

My advice to any of you guys out there is go and get good casting intruction before you develope inherent faults that become ingrained, they are the devil to correct , it is like riding a bike, you do not think about what you have to do to make it move, pedal it, second nature.
Same also for fly casting. Its not what you do it is how you do it !!!. :cry: :lol:

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS