Thread: Knot a problem
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Knot a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc View Post
After fighting one silver salmon or three arctic char on an 8wt rod I could no longer trust my knot. It would break on the next fish. I had to retie my fly or risk loosing my next fish. The knot would break at the loop through the hooks eye.
Hi tjc,

You may be expecting too much from any knot. One Silver Salmon and three Char is quite a bit of fishing without retying, especially with a Clinch Knot. The Char in that area get to good size and the Silvers can be huge. I think I would be checking that knot after every Salmon and making sure it is still tight and not beat up. I would be retying every once in a while just to be sure. It is true that fishing there is not like fishing the lower 48. Down here you might only get one or two chances at a Salmon and in that case I would retie after every Salmon. In Alaska if you break off there is always another Salmon so retying is not as big of a deal.

Frank