Thread: learning rod
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterz View Post
Hello: I've been reading thru the posts, trying to get a better grip on fly fishing. I've been fishing for more years than I care to admit, but never been around fly fishing. My son bought me a fly rod for Christmas, and I've been trying since to determine what kind of reel, line, etc. The terminology is so different that I can see a long learning curve, but I'm really struggling with one thing...I don't understand what the huge advantage is to fly fishing. I'm not trying to put it down- I'm trying to validate to myself why I should invest a lot of money and time to learn a different style of fishing. I figure the posters in this forum have a reason they enjoy fly fishing more than other styles and hope they share it with me.-
I grew up spin/bait fishing also. No problems, I caught fish.
I picked fly fishing more for the freedom. Small fly box, tippet, tools, rod and reel. I can walk for miles and throw out the fly where I think is good. All of this you can do with spin/bait.
But, when there is a dry fly hatch coming off, and you get one to slurp that tiny fly in, then watch the bend in that typically 9 foot rod. Well that says it all.
Plus I don't get that gooey stuff under my nails and my fingers don't smell like garlic or whatever. Not even fish if I don't want to.
I am not one to through out bait, stick it between a rock or whatever, kick back and open a drink and wait, kinda gal.
I love the art form of placing that fly in just the right spot and as soft as I can.
Went fishing with my nephew, we usually are doing the worm/corn thing (Idaho of course). Up until about five years ago, I realized that I could catch more on a fly and constant action. He had so much fun watching that he went and grabbed a rod I had given him, I rigged it up with leader and a fly. We both had a very pleasant productive day.