Thread: learning rod
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: learning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterz View Post
Hello: I've been reading thru the posts, trying to get a better grip on fly fishing. I've been fishing for more years than I care to admit, but never been around fly fishing. My son bought me a fly rod for Christmas, and I've been trying since to determine what kind of reel, line, etc. The terminology is so different that I can see a long learning curve, but I'm really struggling with one thing...I don't understand what the huge advantage is to fly fishing. I'm not trying to put it down- I'm trying to validate to myself why I should invest a lot of money and time to learn a different style of fishing. I figure the posters in this forum have a reason they enjoy fly fishing more than other styles and hope they share it with me.-
First off, Welcome aboard!
I grew up spin fishing all my life and it wasn't until 4 years ago that I started fly fishing and I haven't looked back. With Fly fishing, you are fooling the fish with something that represents the natural food they eat. There is the exception to every rule, like attractor flies. It is hard to explain to someone the feeling of catching a fish on a fly rod. My advise is to don't get overwhelmed with all the equipment and terminology. Get someone you know with experience or hire a guide to take you out and catch a fish. Then go from there. If you don't like it, you didn't waste a bunch of time and money. (I haven't met one person yet who didn't enjoy a day on the water with a rod in their hand.) If you like it, start to persue it as a hobby. Like I mentioned, I started 4 years ago and every time I go out, I learn something new. That is also another part of fly fishing that keeps it interesting.

I guess it also depends on the species you target and the water you fish weather or not you will catch more fish flyfishing.

I noticed that you mentioned "Your Son" got you that new rod. This is a good opertunity to get your son a rod too and enjoy starting a new passion together. I'm not a fortune teller, but I see some good times in your future. *LOL*

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*