View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner Fly Tying Assistance, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
Hello Everyone, I've met a few of you fine Gents and I am very happy to find this site. I need a few pointers as I just started Tying Fly's around Christmas time. I've been snow bound for a few weeks so I thought it would be a good time to learn Tying Fly's. I have a few basic questions and I would greatly appreciate any help. I have tied a few basic fly's but I need help in dubbing the body. I have noticed several You Tube videos, which do help.

1) Can you find good tying material at Craft Stores or should I stick to Bass Pro, Cabelas, Orvis etc.?
If you know what you are looking for, craft stores are good sources of materials. If you have a local shop that stocks quality materials, go there. That way you can inspect the materials to see if they are what you really want.

Quote:
2) How many Whip stitches is standard to finish a fly?
If you mean whip finishes, three is good enough. Go no more than five.

Quote:
3) When wrapping a shank with material like chanelle, do I wind it in the same direction as I wind the thread?
Wrap the counter direction of your thread. This will make a good cross wrap to secure the chenille.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any help and I apologize if these are repeat questions.

Best Regards, Boser
They were all good questions.

MP