View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Gettin a new fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Boy View Post
well i got in to fly fishing last year and i need a new reel. i already have a realy nice rod its a cortland its my dads and he give it to me he also has a realy nice cortland rod and reel combo. ive fly fished before but it was with a crappy eagle claw combo. so now that i go a nice rod i figured i'd get me a nice reel. i'll be using it in the river mostly and some times on the lake. it'll be for smallies, large mouth, blue gills, and some trout. so i need to know a good fairly cheap fly reel right now i'm lookin at the G.Loomis Venture reel what do you guys think?
Hi Kentucky Boy, the Venture is OK for the money. You are looking at a $100 reel and there might be a better choice. I would look at the Orvis Battenkill for $99. The Venture is a cast/machined reel and the Battenkill is machined from bar stock. To my mind the Battenkill is a better buy. If you wanted to spend another $20 you could get the Battenkill Mid Arbor for $119.---------Frank