View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM

slabster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Montana Trip Advice

I grew up in Colorado and spent all my summers as a kid at our place in Livingston growing up. When college came around I decided the U of Montana was the place for me.

3-4 days is short, if you guys can squeeze in extra time it would be well worth it. My ideal July Montana trip would be

Drive from Denver all night, crash at cottonwood camp on the horn. fish the horn the next day (caddis and insane hopper fishing if it pops like last year)

That evening pack up, drive to Twin Bridges and fish with Greg Smith who runs Four Rivers Fishing. Fish a day or two with him on the beaverhead/big hole/ madison/ etc (all fish amazingly, plus he has access to killer spring creeks and big big trout)

Drive to Missoula and fish the upper stretches of the Clark Fork. The Bitterroot and Rock Creek are amazing fisheries as well and should be added in. Contact me for guides in this area, know who to use and who will put you into whiteys all day lol.

If time permits slide over to the Missouri for some plain out retarded dry fly fishing for pigs. You can rent boats from the trout shop in craig and camp on the banks. Be sure to head to Izacks for a buger and some beer, in July Craig is a pretty happening spot full of guys with nothing but huge huge fish ion their mind.