View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i would like to get started in fly tying

I agree with Frank. Get a good fly Tying starter kit. One with Hoppers, Haresear, Prince, Adams, etc. The basics. Tools can be costy so a kit is a good place to start. Bobbers, ones with the ceramic inners are going to break less thread and are a bonus from the word get go. Scissors, small point is good, never cut wire with the tip. If you need to cut wire, use the inside (open scissors all the way) saving the tip or the point for more delicate. Also a good idea to have separate pair for hair (hair can be hard on scissors). Double sided razor blades are good for hair also cause you can bend them. (I break the blades in half so I don't cut myself).
I agree that the vise is a big part of beginning. I love my Renzetti , but I started with a $29. vise, that I still have and use it to dry flies. On a vise, get a good one with small point. You will upgrade if you get into it no matter what LOL Even with my Renzetti I am always looking at others.
Giffith has some great vises at good prices.
Hey, will will be happy to help you if you have a question on any fly. We could talk you through it.