View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: i would like to get started in fly tying

Brandon, where are you located? In some areas the major fly shops offer free fly tying lessons. Feather Craft is one that comes to mind. Check to see if there are Trout Unlimited clubs in your area. Check with your parks and recreation department. If you are in the right area, they will have classes. If you want to start really cheap then get a Thompson "A" press. More people have learned on this press than any that I know about. I bought one in 1974 and still use it for saltwater flies. If all else fails get a vise grip and clamp it into a vise. This will work fine if you tie fairly large flies like streamers. If your are going to learn on your own, get Poul Jorgensen's book: "Dressing Flies for Fresh and Salt Water". This book is probably out of print but it is great for beginners with excellent photos. -----Frank