View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Kansas City Cabela's

And I didn't mean to sound defensive, as I'm not. Since I spent 7 hours Sunday brewing 15 gallons of beer, I'm not going to knock anyone who wants to build a jig to make furled leaders!

They are, in a way, inferior, in that they only have two tapers between the fly and the fly line. But the ease of construction, and the fact they are dirt cheap (more money for beer fixin's), and the fact that they work damned well for us in fresh and salt water for all kinds of fish......

I suppose if you're fishing a spring creek with a 14 foot 8X tippet, our furled leaders won't cut it. A guy who knows his way around a jig can make a far superior leader for that application. That's not our fishing. We chase carp and wipers, bluegills, bass, catfish and crappie in Kansas, bonefish and tarpon in Florida and Belize, redfish and specks in Texas and Louisiana, and our quick and dirty furled leaders do the trick there.

I promise you, you will be impressed at how quickly we can furl a leader butt/mid, crank out a bimini, and be fully rigged and ready. Like you say, more time for drinking (and making) beer!