View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a new Fly pattern or an Old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactor View Post
How do you know that the fly you just tied is an original?The more books that I look through the more I think that everything has been tied before and everything has a name to it. I love to express myself at my fly tying bench by tying whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I think I may have an original but now I doubt it.Is there a database to search through to find out if you have a new pattern?Anyway, the only way I think you could possibly have a new pattern is to have a new material.Does anyone know the legality of using what the Goshawk discards, songbird feathers for using in your patterns? I like to recycle but I'm afraid someone might just find a way to collect some money out of me.

I think being able to tye a totally original fly is IMPOSSIBLE. It has all been done to some degree before.
All you can do is take a fly that works for you, tweek it to suit your waters and then it is cool to call it yours.
I do that all the time, but I do give credit to the main creator.