View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default What About The Reel?

About reels,

I have landed silver salmon up to 11 lbs while using a 7'9" 5wt with an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 click and pawl reel on it. Although I was able to do this I do not recommend it. If you're having a good day you may hook and land more fish than will be enjoyable if you are under gunned.

Whatever rod you plan to fish with you should mount a reel larger than would normally be used. For instance; I use a Sage VT2 9' 7wt with a Lamson Velocity 3.5 on it. I sometimes wish the reel was a 4.0. Having a large reel serves several purposes. First, you will have plenty of room for backing. I use 36 lb saltwater micron. It is good to have at least 200 yds. on the spool. This gives you a faster retrieve and saves you from having to run behind a salmon that is emptying your reel faster than you ever thought could be done. Think big!

Disc drag is a must and I like one that will darn near stop the spool. I am going to start a thread about tippets and fishing techniques soon.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;