View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: loop to loop connection for large Tarpon

For whatever reason, I cannot get Biminis to set as nicely as I want on gelspun (GSP), so I use a double loop triple surgeon's knot. On another board, Lefty Kreh posted that he prefers this knot on GSP. He had issues of GSP Biminis not having that great of knot strength compared to the surgeon's loop knot.

As for the back end of the fly line, I use a braided loop made from 50 pound Gudebrod Butt Material. I make the loop fairly small (less than a half inch), and I have about three inches of butt material spliced inside for plenty of surface area to hold the loop. For the tag end of the loop, I make it at least 10 inches and secure it with two nail knots of 8 pound monofilament. I glue down the knots with Rio UV Knot Sealer. Many prefer to use Pliobond because it is highly flexible. The extra length makes for more surface area for the Chinese finger puzzle to grab onto the line.

MP