Thread: Rotary or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rotary or not?

Cliff has a very good memory. I did chip one of the jaws on my Dan vise. A complete set of jaws from Al Beatty was $20. I filed down the one that I'd chipped and trued up the jaws so it really wasn't a problem. It was more just a cosmetic issue. I've seen the video on the Nor Vise and I've watched a local tyer (before the shop closed) demonstrate some of the features of the Nor vise. Perhaps if I were a professional tyer it would be desirable, however, the number of flies I tie can't really justify such an expenditure.
As for the reasons for a rotary, outside of being able to look at different views, I think the ability to rotate the fly while holding the tying material, whether it be tinsel, palmered hackle, or other hackle is nice. Do you have to have it, no.... but then you don't have to have an automatic transmission in your car or truck, but it's nice to have. I really think it gets down to a personal choice. I realize I've said a lot to have said nothing.