View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Dave,

Just found this question, been awhile but better late than never. I am not a still water fisherman of great note. I have fished for pike a bit in lakes and found myself using a DT floater. I liked that approach even though I have a 9wt sink tip line. The floater allows me to pick up a cast and reposition ...... say, 90* to the right If I spot a fish. The sinking line almost requires that I keep stripping in line to a manageable length prior to making another cast. This is not to say that with a stiff rod you can not raise a line that is six feet under and cast but a days worth of that will wear you out.

So unless some special situation requires me to use a sinking line I stay with a floater and go to a longer leader with a 24" lead head looped in about four feet from the fly.

Don't know if that sounds good but it is how I handle depth.

Ard