View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catching The Salmon Fly Bug; Materials

The below materials are clearly not new to Salmon fly tyers, but they are new to me; many of them have been showing up recently in my maibox

Feathers / Skins:

Blue Chatterer
Indian Crow
Florican Bustard (sub.)
Toucan
Macaw
Pheasants of all kinds (Reeves, Lady Amerst, Golden, etc.)

New sources of materials:

John McLain - Feathersmc.com: Home
Rens Pilgaard

Old books:

(a friend who has been tying Salmon flies for some time told me to start off with the "3 bibles" on Salmon fly tying; Hale, Kelson and Pryce-Tannatt. I'm through Hale and Pryce-Tannatt, heading into Kelson now)

The Salmon Fly: How to Dress it and How to Use it; G. Kelson, 1895

How to Tie Salmon Flies: A Treatise on the Methods of Tying the Various Kinds of Salmon Flies: J. Hale, 1892

How to Dress Salmon Flies: A Handbook for Amateurs; T. Pryce-Tannatt, 1914

The last book has a logical progression of flies; going from the relatively simple Grub style flies (but don't read easy to tie; at least not for me), to the very complex flies like Jock Scotts, etc. I'm tempted to give that sequence a try. Doing something by the book would be a new experience for me.

Another good contemporary book is Paul Jorgensen's Salmon Flies, Their Character, Style and Dressing; 1999

Anyway, it's all new to me and a lot of fun in the learning, the accumulating of materials and the tying of the flies. It's not inexpensive though.

PS I just set up a new computer and it's not liking the iSpell function. So, until I get that bug worked out on Windows 7, be patient with my spelling and grammar; which may look a little more than remedial at this point.

Last edited by Pocono; 02-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.