View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

I have never fished the spot. How close can you get to the dam? Is there ice along the shore? Shelf ice is a sketchy deal at best in spots like that. What's the possibility of posting a photo?

Is your cabin down by Red Lake? 60 miles is darn near here. The best time in a normal year is the middle two weeks of April. The last two years however have been much later. year before last the ice didn't leave the lake till mid June, and not the beginning of June last year. It has been getting later for the last several years. Despite the nonsense coming from the IPCC. The ice does not have to be off the lake though, just the mouths of the rivers coming in. Warroad river usually being first. If you make it after the beginning of May you need a small boat with very little draft. Warroad again being best. I'll PM you my number, give me a call, and we'll see if you can't knock the big ones silly.
Dan