View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Flies for AK. Salmon & Steelhead Fishing

I have amended this thread to Salmon & Steelhead, because it is true that every fly on this thread will catch salmon. This thread is open for all of our members to post pictures and tying recipes for their favorite steelhead fly patterns. It is my intention to build a simple scroll down type of pattern list here.The flies we will post to this thread are more of the Pacific North West variety but then this the AK. forum thus the title of the thread. Please don't forget to include the tying recipe so others can use it.

[Note] This thread will be for member tied submissions so do not post links to other web sites. Postings with links will be removed. Please do not post comments to the thread; it is for submitting 'Your' steelhead fly pictures and recipes. If you would like to make comments post to the AK. General Discussion forum. Thank you for your cooperation and participation here.

I'll open this thread with a pair of related ties. Both of which are borrowed from the old North Eastern Streamer pattern the Nine Three. I made a few tweaks to the tying recipe about ten years ago and have since then called them 'Ard's Nine Three' in order to inform the viewer that they are not the original pattern. Since moving to Alaska these flies have been my single best producer for steelhead and rainbow trout!

Ard's Nine Three; feather wing streamer style

Click the image to open in full size.

Recipe;

Hook: Long shank ring or ball eye streamer hook size 2 - 6
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Butt: Black ostrich
Body: Flat silver tinsel, I like the old metal type for the weight factor
Throat: Sparse white buck tail hair
Wings: Two Olive saddles over which are two black saddles tied upright
Shoulder topping: Black crystal flash tied on both sides of fly, long
Cheeks: Jungle cock

Below: Ard's Nine Three Spey Dress;