View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most effective cast for distance?

Lee,
First of all, welcome to the site, and thank you for taking the time to put together such a great post. As soon as I can hit open water, I'm sure it will help me a lot. I don't have a spey rod instructor within 500 miles of here, and taught myself how to cast watching you tube videos of guys like Eoin Fairgrieve, Kevin Patterson, and some others. I learned to do the jelly roll from the Rio trailer on you tube. I can use all the advice I can get. Kevin P. saw one of my videos and told me I was 'trunking' my cast, just that little piece of advice increased my distance a ton.The photo where your line anchors, and the D loop is formed is picture book perfect. I have wondered some times if I had a longer head, if I could anchor my snake rolls and get better distance with this cast. I think you may have hit on the problem I was having. I may have been overpowering it. Looking at the sequence of photos, I may not have been allowing the line to fully anchor before casting. I will try and slow myself down next time out. I look forward to you being on the site in the future.
Thanks,
Dan