View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clouser Minnow Material

I tie both
For 'normal' sized flies the bucktail is far better IMO as long as you tie both the 'tail' and the wing together. The recipe calls for tying the tail on top of the shank , while the wing is tie on the 'bottom', ahead of the eyes. If you do it that way with bucktail, the tail will wear out by being dragged on the bottom.
Both colors should be tied at the eyes.
With the superhair you can tie both sections as called for in the recipe, but the superhair looks 'artificial' (surprise ) unless it's cut so that the tips are staggered.
I use the super hair only when I want my fly to be extra long as with a Monomoy deep eel

Click the image to open in full size.