View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cataloging your fly-tying names - by Randal Sumner

I don't trademark nor copywrite my flies. I am sure that I have tied some unique flies. NO I didn't tell anyone about them either. You can most likely guess why. Some flies I'm proud of and some I'm not. The ones that I'm proud of I save for Christmas presents. A $4.00-12.00 fly box and put in a dozen or two flies and that makes a nice gift to handout to my coworkers. At least I think so. I like to show off my flies and enjoy giving them to people that can appreciate them. I guess that tying has given me the opportunity to challenge myself in many ways. I'm always trying to tie a perfect flie that will catch fish. Also, I'm trying to find something unique that I can say I invented it. The fly fishing pressure it very light where I live and therefore I don't feel the need to keep a hot pattern a secret. I will never have the marketing that would put my name on a fly that others would identify with it and therefore I don't worry about it. It would be nice to sit back on a stream and watch a fisherman catch a fish and think; well that guy just caught a fish because of me.
So, to keep your hot patterns a secret. Ha! Not me.