View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:44 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly rod for the wife? need some ideas?

Ditto on the length. My wife is 5'2", and definitely does better with at least an 8'6" rod, and even a 9'. Those lengths work well for me also. Casting in the backyard is one thing, but mending line, etc, is much easier with a longer rod. It's also easier to pick up 25 feet of line of a stream, and cast it back upstream with a single cast on a longer rod. I think of short rods where there is overhanging brush and branches.

Lemme tell you a story... I crashed in a cycling race in 2002. The point of impact was the front corner of my right shoulder, and I couldn't lift that arm
more than a few inches for a year. It still hurts, and I thought that using a 7'6" 4wt would help prevent injury. My shoulder pain actually increased with the shorter rod, and I went back to a 9' 5wt and 6wt: single false casts meant less shoulder movement, and I don't even think of the 3 short rods I own anymore. Mending line is so essential on streams, and a longer rod gets the job done with a flick of the wrist (sort of).

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

P.S. I just looked at Redington's website, and the Classic Trout in
9' 4wt and 5wt are both under 3oz! I've owned a couple of Redington rods,
and they were dandy.