View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly line color, does it matter?

I just had a rather heated discussion with a friend of mine over fly line color. He says that casting a fly line over a fish will spook them unless it is basically any color but black. I disagreed vigorously, pointing out that if you wanted a stealthy color to put over a fish, it should be white or sky blue. For example there is a better survival rate for fish with white bellys, because they blend in with the sky and get eaten less. That's why they overwhelmingly, have white bellys. He made a big point of saying that Smallmouth would be spooked by anything other than black. I said that if there was anything to what he said, I should be able to go out and find piles of black lines for bass. This is from a guy who took his entire fly line and colored it black with a magic marker.

My question is, how many of you think that the color of a flyline spooks fish unless it's black?