My buddy, Bern, and I went to give his outboard jet boat a shakedown run up the Lower Yuba River. We were almost up to our turnaround point when we made a hard 90 degree turn. In mid-turn the impellor shoe clipped a downed tree. A couple of minutes later, there was a sudden drop in power. We anchored just off to the side to see the damage.
The impellor shoe was just barely hanging on. This was not good. The impellor shoe is where water gets sucked into the impellor of the jet motor. With it damaged, it was not sucking in water properly.
When Bern and I looked at the damage, we both said two words - duct tape. It's the fix all. He taped it up, and then we started fishing. The fix worked like a charm.
Here's one picture of the repair job.
PS: I got three wild Rainbow Trout (2x14", 1x16").